What's the deal...

Best Unread Blog on the Internet. When I can remember to write.













Monday, January 19, 2009

Re: That's Right NNY - You Have an Accent

Since Cari has outed all of us for having an accent, I thought that perhaps it was time to embrace it. I have been places where people have asked me where I'm from because I have an "accent". I always thought this was strange until now. So, for all of you out-of-towners, I offer you this guide to speaking NNY-ese:

1. Coyote (kahy-oh-tee or kahy-oht) I looked it up. We're both right. Having been laughed out of the room while using the first pronounciation of the word among a group of men dressed head to toe in camo and equipped with guns, I will be sticking to the latter version. Especially when referring to coyote hunting. Which brings me to...

2. Hunting (huh-in) Apparently the first n, the t and the g are all silent in this word. We don't really use the g for the majority of words that we say. It's just there to make the word look pretty. So if someone tells you they are going coyote hunting and don't pronounce it, "Goin kahy-ote huh-in" then they are lying. Or they are a poseur.

3. For (fer) Example: I'm goin to the store fer some milk. (Note: Some pronounce milk "melk", but they are stupid). Usually, you are talking fast enough when you say this that no one will really pick up on it. The only time it will really get noticed is when you use it in the middle of a sentence and then forget what you were going to say. Ex: I got that stuff fer...... See, now you just sound like an idiot. I know. I've done it. Lesson learned.

4. Yup and Nope (yuht and noht) "Yup" and "Nope" are slang words to begin with, but we've taken it one step further: We've eliminated the p at the end. If you are going to use these words, I stongly advise you not to do so in a professional environment or a job interview. I would never hire someone who answered "yuht" or "noht" to any question that I asked. At least put the p back at the end.

By the way, NNY gave us Potato Chips. Is there really a clear winner here?

No comments: